Warning: this conversation is not for boys or immature women. I will be talking about periods, tampons and vaginas. Okay, so there’s your warning.
I have to write this post, even though I know my friends are cringing, just as I did when my mom told me about the Diva Cup for the first time, because it has changed my life and it can change yours too!
Quickly, and without going into too much detail, I’ll explain what the Diva Cup is. The Diva Cup is a re-useable, silicone, menstrual cup that is inserted in to your vagina, and is used to collect blood during “that time
of the month.” It sits snugly and comfortably without being noticed. A couple times a day, you gently remove it, empty it’s contents into the toilet, rinse it out, and re-insert. It’s a super quick, easy, and clean process, and is not as bizarre as it sounds.
My Diva Cup Story…
When my mom first told me about the Diva Cup about a year ago, I was completely weird-ed out and changed the subject immediately because I just don’t like talking about periods with my mom, and it sounded like another one of her hippie gizmos–I guess I’m immature that way. She would tell me how much she loved it, and was pretty persistent about getting the info across to me–at one point she even told me that she was sad menopause was ahead of her because she didn’t get to use her Diva Cup anymore! Every time I’d hear her say “Diva Cup,” I’d cringe, and tell her to stop with the flippin’ Diva Cup talk. So just for fun, she started to call me “Diva-Cup-Face”–because she’s immature like that.
Finally, I came around and decided to order one, try it out, and…I’ve never looked back!!! I don’t know why every woman doesn’t use a menstrual cup! I understand that idea may take it little time to digest and wrap your head around, because it did for me, and most of us ladies are so used to the disposable alternative, but I urge you to get “over it” and give the Diva-Cup a try!
5 Reason Why I Love My Diva Cup!
- I never have to buy tampons again! This is such an awesome concept–tampons add up, and I’m so happy that I no longer have to buy them. Just a one-time investment of $35, and I’m set for who knows how long! The savings alone is worth it.
- I don’t have a bathroom garbage full of unnecessary waste! I have a small dog and a toddler that get in to EVERYTHING, and thanks to the Diva Cup, I no longer have to worry about locking up my garbage can under the sink, or insuring the bathroom door is closed! I enjoy not having a garbage that contains my monthly mess.
- The Diva Cup WAY better for the environment. Think of all the tampons that are flushed and thrown away in the world! Check out this article by The Chic Ecologist, about the environmental impact of feminine hygiene products–it’s such an interesting read!
- The Diva cup is WAY healthier choice. “Cotton” tampons contain chemicals and ingredients that are not regulated by the FDA, and are most likely not even made of cotton, but instead, rayon, viscose, or wood fluff pulp. To get tampons white, they are bleached with chlorine, which, among other things, is exposing you to carcinogens. On the flip side, the Diva Cup is made of silicone which is safe when used internally, and does not leach into your body.
- I never run out! Never again will you have to worry about running out of tampons. As long as you have access to a washroom, you’re set!
If you’re thinking about ordering the Diva Cup, here are a couple things that you should know:
- It is a bit awkward the first time you use it.
- It takes a little practice to find a leak-free position.
- There are two models. Model #1 for women who haven’t had a baby, and Model #2 is for women who have had a baby.
- Pack a tampon for a long plane ride…just trust me on this one, that’s another story.
- You may feel a little bit “cooler” than your other tampon-using friends.
I bought my Diva Cup, Model #2 (for big vaginas?), from Amazon. Click on one of the pictures below to order your Diva Cup! Thanks for listening, and best of luck, ladies!