Did you know that a 1 cup serving of raw broccoli will provide you with more than 135% of your recommended daily intake of vitamin C, and 255% of vitamin K?? Neither did (I until I Googled it just now)! But that’s not the reason I made this salad. I made it because I was eating chips and drinking beer all yesterday evening at my husband’s birthday-BBQ-Potluck (no one’s perfect!), and I needed to make a delicious, nutritious, raw salad that I would balance out the junk food…even though I know it doesn’t really work like that!
I’ll admit it, I’m not a huge salad fan–it has to be pretty kick-ass, with a yummy dressing in order for me to enjoy it. This one definitely does the trick. I don’t eat pork, but I bet bacon would take this salad to the next level!
This broccoli salad with toasted almonds and poppyseed dressing will be the perfect, healthy addition to your next summer potluck. But don’t forget your bowl, or it may end up on the internet full of broccoli salad!
- 5 Cups Broccoli, florets (I use the stems too--peel them and dice)
- 2 Cups Purple Cabbage, shredded
- ½ Cup Red Onion
- ¾ Cup Slivered Almonds, Toasted
- 1 Small Apple, Diced
- ¼ Cup Raisins
- ⅓ Cup Feta Cheese, Crumbled
- 2-3 Tbsp Hemp Hearts (optional)
- 1 Serving of Poppyseed Dressing
- Make the Poppyseed Dressing and set aside.
- Lightly toast almonds in a hot frying pan (keep an eye on them, it's not called "Broccoli Salad with Burnt Almonds."
- Mix all of the ingredients, including the dressing, and serve!